9.28.2005

Wow.

I have a job.

This week I accepted a job as a writer/editor at Sovereign Grace Ministries. I am excited and humbled and very, very grateful.

Earlier this summer I was treated to dinner at a charming French restaurant by good friends who are quite successful in their careers. Mrs. C. is an editor and has been a professor; Mr. C. is an attorney and published author. They asked about my job search; I asked them about prospects in the local job market. I looked across the table while the French waiter brought a chocolate pastry and asked whether I had any chance of a job that I could be interested in. Well, they said, of course that's everyone's dream. But in a city dominated by government most of us, at least at some point in our lives, end up writing or editing something rather, well, boring. You start where you can and hope for the best. You can always find something to be interested in, even if you're not writing novels. And I found their advice to be true and wise. My summer job put me to work on all sorts of publications, some more fun than others. My friends were right: There was always something to take an interest in. But Friday is my last day in my little office by the river. On Monday I start my new job.

And I can't think of anything I'd rather write about, or edit about, or answer phones or update a website or, for that matter, scrub floors for--than the Church.

As if that weren't enough, tonight God met my need again. It's a long drive from my house to Sovereign Grace, and I didn't have a car. I was wondering how fast I could buy a car at CarMax when my grandmother offered to let me use hers. I picked it up tonight. I've never driven a car that has an electronic key thingamabob or volume controls in the steering wheel. My commute just got a whole lot more fun.

The comical thing is that as all this was happening, our lodging in London fell through due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. My sister and I are looking for new lodging. Quite an adventure. But I will say this: I don't dare worry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

How encouraging! Yup, that's pretty cool. :-)

October 04, 2005 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home