Stratford!
I first saw--or really, experienced--Shakespeare's As You Like It during my freshman year at PHC. It was the first play Eden Troupe did. (For a really old memory, check out this news story from PHC during those early days. In the plaid shawl is our very own Rosalind, who is marrying Orlando for real in November.) So today was a special treat: seeing the Royal Shakespeare Company perform As You Like It today in Stratford-Upon-Avon. The opportunity came up rather unexpectedly, and I am so glad it did.
I was hoping to see an insightful performance of Jaques the Melancholy. (Ever since I agonized over his costume back in our own performance, I've been curious about his character). In this I was disappointed, though; today's Jaques tended to strike statuesque poses and deliver lines like an orator. He did almost no interpretation of the "All the world's a stage" speech.
But what I did find fascinating was the RSC's presentation of the dukes. (I'm afraid I can't remember their names and don't have time to look them up. :-) ) Both dukes were played by the same actor, just as we did at PHC. But today's double-casting was obviously deliberate and highly dramatized. In the play's first two acts, almost every good-duke scene is followed immediately by a bad-duke scene. To change scenes, Good Duke merely changed his costume slightly to become Bad Duke, the lighting changed, and that was that. For instance, Good Duke had a scene wearing an overcoat, and when the scene ended he threw off his overcoat to reveal a red dinner jacket (the bad-duke costume), the lighting became more harsh, and behold, he was Bad Duke. The change of scene was easy to follow. And it raises some interesting questions about the character of both dukes.
The Royal Shakespeare Theatre is on the bank of the Avon. On a bridge across the Avon, there's an inscription commemorating some extensive waterway repairs. The inscription itself brought back lots of memories. Those of you who remember the early Eden Troupe days will appreciate it: "We were not experts, and therefore we did not know what could not be done."
I was hoping to see an insightful performance of Jaques the Melancholy. (Ever since I agonized over his costume back in our own performance, I've been curious about his character). In this I was disappointed, though; today's Jaques tended to strike statuesque poses and deliver lines like an orator. He did almost no interpretation of the "All the world's a stage" speech.
But what I did find fascinating was the RSC's presentation of the dukes. (I'm afraid I can't remember their names and don't have time to look them up. :-) ) Both dukes were played by the same actor, just as we did at PHC. But today's double-casting was obviously deliberate and highly dramatized. In the play's first two acts, almost every good-duke scene is followed immediately by a bad-duke scene. To change scenes, Good Duke merely changed his costume slightly to become Bad Duke, the lighting changed, and that was that. For instance, Good Duke had a scene wearing an overcoat, and when the scene ended he threw off his overcoat to reveal a red dinner jacket (the bad-duke costume), the lighting became more harsh, and behold, he was Bad Duke. The change of scene was easy to follow. And it raises some interesting questions about the character of both dukes.
The Royal Shakespeare Theatre is on the bank of the Avon. On a bridge across the Avon, there's an inscription commemorating some extensive waterway repairs. The inscription itself brought back lots of memories. Those of you who remember the early Eden Troupe days will appreciate it: "We were not experts, and therefore we did not know what could not be done."

1 Comments:
I was there!!! I did not go into the Royal Shakepeare Theatre, but I saw it and have a picture. :) I love hearing about your adventures. I am so glad that you get to explore England. When I was there, I remember thinking how much you would love it.
Will you be back in time to see out Macbeth Nov 17-19?
Post a Comment
<< Home