11.23.2005

Married

Thomas and Carrie are now man and wife.

I first got to know Carrie, and she first got to know Thomas, as we all worked on As You Like It four years ago. I'll never forget the endless piles of costumes, the late nights, the coffee, the Shakespeare jokes, Corey's tie-dyed beard and muddy clothes, the bloody napkin, and the three nights when that story came alive on our little stage. Nor will I forget the chemistry between Orlando and Rosalind. Nor the closing moment of the closing performance, when Orlando swept Rosalind into his arms and whirled her around, her white dress floating in dreamy circles, before carrying her offstage.

Nor will I forget Carrie's faithful friendship since then, the long talks and long papers and acting that scene from Midsummer Night's Dream in Shakespeare class. ("O wall, show me thy chink!")

Orlando and Rosalind "married" each other twice in every performance of As You Like It, once when Gannymede "pretended" to marry Orlando while Celia officiated the vows, and once at the play's climax, in a ceremony officiated by a peace-sign-flashing Jonathan Krull. But last Saturday there was no acting about it. The rings, vows, and prayers were real. A fairy tale, maybe, but true.

And Oliver was best man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home