7.29.2005

A Pause

Several things have reached their close this week:

Busman’s Honeymoon: I finally finished it. It is lovely. All through the series I delighted in Sayers’ cleverness. But at the same time I wondered: does she merely hint at serious things, or can she write them? She can. The best praise I can think of is that having read the poignant final scene of Busman’s Honeymoon, I have no more desperate wish for one more Sayers book. It was ended well, and I was satisfied. (And, by the way, it’s deviously delightful to read a gentle British love story in a hot, crowded American metro. One can abstract from one’s surroundings beautifully.)

My second temping assignment: two days of proofreading an economic report on an African country. Thanks to two econ classes I took before going to PHC, I could actually follow some of it. African economic development is certainly more interesting than biochemistry, in my opinion. Having now read about 150 pages of statistics and theories about unemployment, AIDS, death rates, inflation, and exchange rate crises, I am more motivated to pray. They need the gospel in that country, and they need the mercy of God in the form of teachers, medical care, and good government. Next week: back to the scientific association.

Job hunting: I am pausing here too, if only mentally. I went into editing somewhat by default because I didn’t plan on teaching right away. But now that I’m into it, I’m wondering whether sitting quietly and looking at documents for eight hours at a stretch is really my cup of tea. I heartily enjoy a snowy and bustling morning at PHC when 20 people have called my room by 8 a.m. to ask if dress code is relaxed! But one usually can’t maintain that kind of rush forever. So I pause, to pray and try to discern whether I should continue in the editing line, or if God has something else in my future. And while I pause, I keep writing cover letters and sending resumes. Two more went out today, in fancy white envelopes.

And finally, the work week itself draws to a close. Tomorrow, coffee and lunch with friends and, if I can swing it, more unpacking. I’m still trying to “move in” to my home. College boxes are unpacked, but now I’m unpacking boxes of relics from my high school days and trying to clear my desk of papers. One thing that will stay on my desk, though, is a graduation gift from a dear friend. It is a framed section of the graduation program, and it reads:

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
Fear God, and keep his commandments:
For this is the whole duty of man.

- Ecclesiastes 12:13

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Adams said...

I don't like the quiet, uninterrupted, all-day-in-the-office work either. I've decided that after school I want to write and teach -- I definitely want to write, but I know for one that doesn't necessarily pay well, and also it's not something I could do full-time, since my writing feeds off an active life.

From a little experience I know I love teaching -- it combines my love of literature/English and my love of children. So when I graduate, I may be looking for another classroom :).

July 30, 2005 8:50 PM  
Blogger Lisa Adams said...

Sarah, I am looking for the stage-play version of Busman's Honeymoon... did you read that version, or the novel? Would you know anything about how to find the drama? All my searches have been unsuccessful...

August 01, 2005 9:39 AM  
Blogger Ruhamah said...

Wow, interesting question. I read the novel. I've never seen the stage play, but then again my acquaintance with Sayers runs about two months. :-) I remember the preface/dedication to Busman's Honeymoon mentions someone who is said to have co-written the play... maybe look up that name?

August 01, 2005 9:10 PM  
Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

I haven't ever found the play either, and I've been collecting everything I can find by Sayers for about eight years. :-( If you find it, please let me know!

I can lend you The Devil to Pay if you like... it's well worth reading.

August 04, 2005 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home